Imperfection

One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn’t exist….                                              Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.                                                                                                
                                                                              Stephen Hawking


None of us are perfect.

Some of us are less perfect than others.

Eighteen months ago I thought I knew exactly what I would investigate for my PhD should I ever have the opportunity to do it. 

A year ago I had revised my original idea but felt certain I had finally put my finger on ‘it’. 

Since embarking on real conversations with an actual potential supervisor at a proper university I have discovered that I don't have the crystal clarity I thought I did.

Funny thing is I’m ok with that imperfection (alongside many others).  I love the whole process of discovering that there is more to something than I first realised. True I am not as far on at this point than I thought I wanted to be, however, I am closer to an insightful, original question than I have ever been before.

Often our harshest critic is the one inside our own minds, speaking in tones and terms that can be painful to endure. So to make 2018 a gentler, more compassionate experience I have a suggestion we could all try: experimenting with a new value or two and see how that plays out.

If, like me, you are not perfect then one or other of these ideas from the Minessence Values Framework might provide a rebuttal to the critics voice:

Limitation/Acceptance: to positively accept that we all have limitations

Limitation/Celebration: to recognise that your limitations are a natural part of exercising your talents and to have the ability to laugh at your own shortcomings


With a little luck and a bit more insight I should be able to share in the first part of 2018 the actual final (draft) question for the PhD and then the really difficult bit begins………

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

Seven

Reflection